Welcome to the First Christian Church of Rowlett
120 wonderful years and counting!
Here you will find information concerning our church and its ministries. We are a community of faith with diversity in age, race, and denominational background. We hope you find your time spent here a blessing. Our church is a warm and loving church, and we want you to feel comfortable and at liberty to call on us for anything you need. Feel free to browse through the various areas of our website and learn about our fellowship.
If you are considering a new place of worship or a relocation to our area, we would love to have you be our guest.
When you visit our church, you will find:
- A caring congregation that will gladly welcome you
- Preaching/teaching that is centered on the Word of God
- Ministries to meet the spiritual needs of every age
This past Sunday, we lit a candle for the children who are victims of abuse and neglect. We invite you to learn a bit more through these statistics:
The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations - losing on average between four and seven children every day to child abuse and neglect.
- Every hour, 77 cases of child abuse are made.
- Each year, there are 679,000 child victims of abuse and neglect. (That is rate of 9.1 victims per 1,000 children in U.S.)
- More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- An estimated 1,520 children die of abuse and neglect in the U.S. per year. (An approximate 2.04 children per 100,000 die of abuse and neglect per year.)
- Three-quarters (73.9%) of all child fatalities were younger than 3 years.
- The highest rates of child abuse occur under age one (23.1 per 1,000 children.)
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- 80% of victims were neglected.
- 18% were physically abused.
- 9% were sexually abused.
- 8.7% were psychologically maltreated.
Child Abuse & Criminal Behavior
- 14% of all men in prison and 36% of women in prison in the USA were abused as children, about twice the frequency seen in the general population.
- Children who experience children abuse and neglect are about 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity.
Child Abuse Consequences
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
Child Abuse & Substance Abuse
- 1/3 to 2/3 of child maltreatment cases involve substance abuse to some degree.
- As many as two-thirds of the people in treatment for drug abuse reported being abused or neglected as children.
- More than a third of adolescents with a report of abuse or neglect turn to substance abuse.